Polokwane – the capital city of Limpopo2>
Polokwane is the only city in Limpopo, South Africa. It was formerly known as Pietersburg before it was renamed to Polokwane in 2005. Polokwane is best known as African City of Stars or Place of Safety. City of Polokwane (Pietersburg) was established in 1886 and is the capital city of Limpopo. The city is situated in the Capricorn District Municipality and is managed by Polokwane Municipality. Polokwane consist of four different races i.e. African, White, Indian and Coloured.
Polokwane Executive Mayors
Since Democratic Elections in 1994, Polokwane Municipality was ruled by African National Congress (ANC) and had four executive mayors to date namely
- Thembi Nkadimeng (2014 to date)
- Freddy Greaver (2010 – 2014)
- Thabo Makunyane (2000 – 2010)
- Lawrence Mapoulo (First Mayor)
Suburbs and Townships
- Sububs in the city include: Annandale, Bendor, Welgelegen, Moregloed, Ivydale, Flora-Park, Fauna-Park, Penina Park, Ivy Park, Hospital Park, Ster Park, Dalmada, Broadlands and Thornhill.
- Polokwane have four townships, namely Westernburg, Nirvana, Seshego and Mankweng (Turfloop).
Malls and Shopping Centre
- Mall of the North, Savannah Mall and Limpopo Mall.
The shopping centre in the city of Polokwane includes:
- Standard Bank Square, Checkers Centre, Lifestyle Centre, The Mall, The Crossing, Game Centre, Thornhill Shopping Centre, Shoprite Centre Metropolitan, Platinum Park, Cycad Centre and Spur City Centre.
Tertiary institutions in Polokwane are University of Limpopo (UL) which is 30km from the city in Mankweng, Tshwane University of Technology (TUT), University of South Africa (UNISA), Turfloop Graduate School of Leadership (TGSL) and Capricorn FET College. The city also has various private colleges.
High and Primary schools in Polokwane are, Capricorn High School, Catholic Diocese of Polokwane, Eagle’s Nest Christian School, General Piet Joubert School, Chris Hofmeyer Junior School, Ivypark Junior School, Pietersburg East Junior School, Pietersburg Junior School, Pietersburg English Medium Primary School, Westernburg Secondary School, Taxila Secondary School, Mitchell House Preparatory School and College, PEPPS Preparatory School and College, Noorderland High School, Hoerskool Noorderland, Hoër Tegniese Skool Tom Naudé and Northern Academy Secondary School.
There are two airports:
- In Polokwane there is one public airport, Polokwane International Airport which is operated by Gateway Airport Authority Limited (GAAL). It provides daily flights to OR Tambo International Airport in Kempton Park, Johannesburg.
- There are two private airports in Polokwane namely, Pietersburg Municipal Airport and Ranch Hotel Airport.
A cheap flight to Polokwane with Webjet would help you save on travelling time since there is just so much nature and wildlife to see within this region.
Railway line and station:
- There is a railway station which is used by a Shosholoza train from Johannesburg which pass once a day to Musina.
- The Transnet or Spoornet use the railway line to transport Agricultural and Mining goods.
Four major taxi ranks in Polokwane namely:
- Pick and Pay Taxi Rank (Seshego, Mankweng, Lebowakgomo, Mafefe, Ga-Mphahlele, Pretoria, Tembisa, Johannesburg, etc)
- Checkers Taxi Rank (Ga-Molepo, etc)
- Shoprite Taxi Rank (Ivy Park and Penina Park)
- India Centre Taxi Rank (Moletjie, Ga-Malala, Bochum, etc)
- City Centre Taxi Rank (Ga-Mashashane, Ga-Maraba, etc)
Two Bus-Stops in Polokwane which include:
- The railway bus rank in Polokwane is used by Great North Transport (GNT), Matodi Bus Services, Kopano Bus Service, City to City, TransLux and Bahwaduba Bus Service for different destinations in and outside the Province
- The Polokwane park bus station (Cnr Church and Thabo Mbeki Street) is for Trunxlux and City to City that commutes outside the Province.
- Meropa World and Entertainment (best known as Meropa Casino) is the only casino in Polokwane which has facilities like a Wildlife Park, Spa, Jembe Lounge, Conference Centre and Hotel. The casino is owned and managed by Sun International.
- There is a Ster-Kinekor cinema in Mall of the North, Polokwane.
- Polokwane has ‘nightlife’ places which include Waterland, Cofi Polokwane, Millione Resturant, Cubanna and Industrial Chisanyama.
- Festival that hosted in Polokwane every year is Maphungubwe Arts Festival, Dstv irock Limpopo, Polokwane Beach Festival, Thobela FM Music Festival
Art and Culture
There are two craft studios in Polokwane namely; Gemco Arts & Crafts Studio and Bush Craft Trading Store.
We also have museums and art galleries, the best place to visit if you want to know more about the city is Polokwane Art museum, Hugh Exton Photographic Museum, Bakone Malapa Northern Sotho Open-Air Museum and Eloff Gallery.
- Polokwane Cricket Club and Noordelikes Rugby Club are based in Polokwane
- Polokwane is the home of South Africa football clubs, Polokwane City F.C, Black Leopard F.C AND Winners Park F.C.
- There is four stadium in Polokwane which include; Peter Mokaba Stadium (the 2010 FIFA World Cup host), Polokwane Cricket Staduim, Polokwane Rugby Staduim, Seshego Stadum, Peter Mokaba Old Staduim and Oscar Mopeta Staduim in University of Limpopo.
- Polokwane Municipality owns different sports field for Tennis, Cricket, Swimming and Volley Ball.
- The Polokwane Golf Course which was founded in 1863.
The radio station in Polokwane includes:
- The South Africa Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has a regional branch in Polokwane which is a home for three national radio stations namely: Thobela FM, Phalaphala FM and Munghana Lonene.
- The city also hosts branch of the South African’s largest independent radio station, Jacaranda RM/FM.
- The first and only commercial radio station in Limpopo, Capricorn FM also broadcast from the city in Bendor suburb.
- There are an urban community radio station, Energy FM which is based in Polokwane and is owned by Ashifashaba Moleya and Simpiwe Modlalusi.
The city has also a selection of offices for National newspapers which include:
- The Star Newspaper
- Daily Sun
The locally distributed newspapers are:
- Polokwane Observer
- Polokwane Review
- Capricorn Voice
- Rise ‘n Shine Newspaper
- Limpopo News
There are online media in Polokwane which publish daily community news namely:
The city centre is the entrance to the Polokwane Game Reserve.
The Ranch Hotel is home to a pride of magnificent Lions many of whom are celebrities.
A great attraction in the city is the Polokwane Bird and Reptile Park
Polokwane is the head office of two biggest municipalities in Limpopo namely Polokwane Municipality and Capricorn District Municipality.
Head Offices of all the Limpopo Provincial Government 12 Departments are based in the city of Polokwane, namely:
- Office of the Premier (OTP)
- Department of Agriculture (LDA)
- Department of Education (LDE)
- Department of Economic Development, Environment & Tourism (LEDET)
- Department of Social Development (LDSD)
- Department of Health (LDoH)
- Co-operative Governance, Human Settlement and Traditional Affairs(COGHSTA)
- Department of Provincial Treasury (LDPT)
- Department of Public Works, Roads and Infrastucture (LDPW)
- Department Transport (LDoT)
- Department of Safety, Security and Liaison (LDSSL)
- Department of Sport, Arts and Culture (LDSAC)
National Department has regional offices in Polokwane namely;
- Department of Rural Development and Land Reform
- Department of Labour
- Department of Home Affairs
- Department of Environmental Affairs
- Department of Justice and Correctional Services
- Department of Defence
- South African Police Service (SAPS)
Parastatals and Government Entities that have regional office in Polokwane include:
- Road Agency Limpopo (RAL)
- Limpopo Economic Development Agency (LEDA)
- Small Enterprise Development Agency (Seda)
- Government Communication and Information System (GCIS
- State Information Technology Agency (SITA)
- Lepelle Northern Water Board
- Limpopo Gambling Board
- Limpopo Tourism and Parks (LTP)
Polokwane Municipality is ruled by African National Congress (ANC) since democratic elections of 1994. The opposition party in the Municipality is Democratic Alliance (DA) and Economic Freedom Fighter (EFF). The official unions in the municipality are South African Municipal Workers Union (SAMWU) and Independent Municipal and Allied Trade Union (IMATU).
Commerce and industry
Polokwane is the host of the biggest manufacturing companies such as Coca-Cola and South African Breweries (SAB), Foodcorp Milling (Sunbake), Pioneer Foods (Sasko Bakery), Progress Milling and Enterprise Foods.
The city is also the host of regional offices of companies such as Vodacom, MTN, Old Mutual, ABSA, FNB, Netbank, Standard Bank, Fedility, SBV and many more…
Polokwane have best accommodations: hotels, lodges, guest houses, self-catering and B&Bs:-
(A-Z) List of Hotels in Polokwane:
- Eskulaap Park
- Fusion Boutique Hotel
- Garden Court Polokwane
- Protea Hotel The Ranch
(A-Z) List of Lodges in Polokwane:
- Airport Africa Lodge
- Boma In The Bush, Bosveld Lapa, Brafords Places, Buffalo Accommodation,
- Cosmo Leisure Lodge and Accommodation, Country Blue Luxury Accommodation, Cuzimbuli Adventures and Lodge,
- Die Drift
- Four Seasons Country Lodge
- Getaway Gateway Lodge, Golden Pillow
- Holland’s Drift, Honeymoon Lodge
- Ivory Lodge
- Kurumba Lodge
- Lily-lo Guest House
- Masai Lodge, Masana Lodge, Matoppi Safari, Miami Lodge, MJ Gateway, Mosate Lodge
- Oasis Lodge Polokwane, Oasis Lodge Seshego
- Olivia’s Place
- Pietersburg Lodge, Pietersburg Palms Inn, Pink House Lodge, Pit’s Lodge, Platinum Lodge, Plumtree Lodge, Polokwane Game Reserve (Kudu Lodge), Protea Landmark Lodge
- Rams Luxury Lodge
- Southgate Country Lodge
- Thaba Lodge, The Blue Crane Inn, Tirhane Lodge, Tiveka Lodge, Tom’s Lodge, Touch of Eden, Town Lodge Polokwane, Travellers Lodge, Tropical Paradise
- Vevisa Lodge, Vuwa Lodge
- Wildthingz Lodge,
- Yellowstone Luxury Lodge, Ysterberg Natuuroord
- Zanami Lodge
(A-Z) List of Guest Houses in Polokwane:
- African Roots Guest House, Aganang Guest House, Arli Guest House,
- Bendor Cottage, Bendor Guest House, Bolivia Lodge, Broadlands Equestrian
- Centre, Col-John, Cycad Guest House
- Darocron Accommodation, De Plaas Guest House, Devenish Guest House, Dinoko Lodge, Dreams Valley Guest House
- Eagle’s Nest, Eden Guest House, Ekaya Guest House, Eltasha Guest House, Elegance Guest, House, Endani Guest House, First Guest House
- Goereen Guest House
- Harambi Guest House, Hayani Guest House, Howick’s Guest House, Hugelheim Guest House, Huis Lindekroon, Hunabi Guest House
- Imagine Luxury Accommodation
- King’s Castle
- Limpopo Guest Manor
- Madulo Guest House, Mahuto Guest House, Marlot Guest House, Mateka Nsuku Guest House, Mulimolate Guest House
- Percale Guest House
- Riandre’s Guest House, Rustic Rest
- Santa Fe Guest House, Savannah Guest House, Siesta Overnight Accommodation, Sleepers Villa, Soetdorings Buiteklub, St. Marko Estate, Steendal Guest House
- The Thatch Palace, Tuscan Guest House,
- Victor Place Guest House, Villa Afrika Guest House,
(A-Z) List of Self-Catering and B&B Accommodations:
- Ebenezer Self Catering, Esja Overnight
- Far North Accommodation, Fig Tree Retreat
- Golwane B & B
- Jacaranda Overnight
- Kiepersol Overnight
- McDonald’s B & B and Safaris, Medonaidsis B & B, Mekete VIP House,
- Pafuri Self Catering, Pietersburg Club